— Makes 6 full-size candy bars or 12 “fun size” bars —
- 1/2 cup crunchy organic unsalted almond or peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 heaping Tablespoon coconut flour
- 12 soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup water (quick tip: to soften the dates more & create a more smooth texture, you can let them soak in the water for awhile beforehand. But it’s not necessary!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unrefined organic coconut oil (doesn’t need to be melted, as the processing warms it enough where it takes care of itself. But you can melt it beforehand, if you so choose)
- 1/4 cup nuts of choice- I use unsalted raw or roasted peanuts (I actually usually don’t measure either.. But this should be close to accurate)
- 1 heaping cup Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips (they are stevia sweetened & the bomb.com)
- 1 to 3 teaspoon(s) unrefined organic coconut oil
Prep your nougat layer by combining all 3 ingredients in a bowl. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, use a spoon or hands to flatten out the “batter” into a rectangle. I left mine at around 1/2 inch thick. Pop this layer in the freezer to harden up while you prep the date caramel. While the nougat sits in the freezer to harden up a bit, you can process together all of the caramel ingredients.
Note: You’ll only need 3/4 of the date caramel for the 2nd layer! Save the rest for raw caramel apples or to use as a dip. Trust me, it won’t last long in your fridge. Nom.
Retrieve your nougaty layer from the freezer and slather on dat caramel.
Sprinkle on your nuts & lightly press them into the caramel so they won’t jump ship later when you cloak the bars in chocolate.
Place the bars back in the freezer to continue chilling for 30 minutes, minimum. This will help the caramel layer harden a little before you add the final touches.
When your 30 minutes is up, melt your chocolate & coconut oil. Take the bars from the fridge and chop them up into 6-12 bars depending on if you want full sized or fun sized bars.
I found it easiest to place the bars back in the fridge and take them out one by one to cover in chocolate so they didn’t get too warm & become hard to work with.
Use a spatula or spoon to put a thin coat of chocolate on the bottom of each bar, place back on parchment paper and spoon them over with chocolate.
Place the chocolate coated candies back in the freezer for a final 15+ minutes before devouring!